Monday, April 5, 2010

Today this hit me in the face like a frying pan

Sometimes when I get bored in class I will doodle the "Love Chapter" from 1st Corinthians in fancy letters instead of taking notes. Today I started to do this and I didn't get past the first phrase. I wrote "Love is patient" and then the full reality of what that means at this point in my life hit me.



At that moment I realized exactly how true and beautiful and breath-taking that one little phrase is.

"Love is patient."

Love waits.

I am waiting. And I had always seen waiting as something you do before you get married, but until today I had never seen waiting as a part of being in love. In the act of waiting, I am also loving. It is beautiful to wait, to not give up. It is also difficult and sometimes heartbreaking, but "we can rejoice in our sufferings because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance produces character, and character produces hope. And hope doesn't disappoint us because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us" (Romans 5:3-5).

And I can hope because love never fails.

(P.S. I went through a lot of traumatic stuff trying to move that picture from my phone to here, so don't judge its poor quality.)

1 comment:

  1. I stopped by to let you know that I just gave you a One-Minute Writing of the Day award for your response on 4/22. Great job!

    http://oneminutewriter.blogspot.com/2010/04/todays-writing-prompt-sound.html

    I also wanted to let you know you have a beautiful blog here! Your heart shines through. I don't follow new blogs all that often because I have so many I already read, but I'm going to add yours to the list. I was a Christian college student 11 years ago (can't believe it's been that long!) so I'm looking forward to reading your musings....

    -Beth
    The One-Minute Writer
    C. Beth Blog

    ReplyDelete